Age & Relationships

So my Tuesday chill-out made it to Wednesday's entree for this blogpost.

Was having drinks with someone from my family last night and I was randomly asked this question - "Does a difference in age matter in a relationship?"

 And before anyone attempts to attack my views, this is my opinion. Which I'm entitled to. So below, is my answer on the subject.

Older Men-Younger Women
I'm ok with this combo. I feel older men are way more dignified, dependable, respected, reliable, protective and more often than not, they are financially stable. And all those, are traits as to why the majority of girls prefer an older man.

When it comes to the age difference however, i feel that anywhere between 1-12 years of a man being older than his wife is acceptable. But if you're thinking of marrying a man who is old enough to be your father, you may wanna rethink that. Because when you hit your prime age, he may already be qualified to be in a nursing home. No pun intended, yea. Do the math and look at yourselves 20 years from now.

If you're the 'older than her father' man, how will it feel to be unable to do many things in later years while your wife is still able and capable? And if you're the very much younger wife, are you able to cope with and willing to sacrifice being tied down looking after a very senior husband in his old age while you're still enjoying the stuff that he's no longer able to?

Older Women-Younger Men
Unless the age gap between them is only about 2-3 years, my answer is nope. Because, no offence to anyone but it has been scientifically proven that a woman matures mentally faster than a man. And I couldn't agree more.

That is why these kinds of relationships hardly work, especially if you have a younger partner who thrives on childish charades, sulk when they don't get their way or make a big deal over issues that are lame and trivial. We've been there, done that  - and guess what? After a while, it gets boring.

Women! Take that and compare it to a man who makes you feel secure and can take charge and handle any given situation when glitches arise. Simply put, there's no room for child's play. And as for the younger man who is into a relationship with an older woman, for now it may be fine. But again, if you looked at the bigger picture many years from now, while you're still going to the gym or playing football, your wife or partner may be happily contended sitting in her rocking chair with hearing aids. Is that what you want?

My husband is 2 years older than me. And I personally feel, that is by far, the best age difference between a couple - from a physical and emotional point.

With that said, I asked my relative "so what made you bring up this topic - you're going out with an older or younger woman?".

Him: Younger.
Me:   How old?
Him: 24 years.
Me:  Dios Mio, send her back to her mama already. She'll give you more headaches than you ever bargained for.
Him: But she seems mature
Me : For now laa. New broom sweeps well, right.

And to conclude, he agreed with me.

Him: So I should end it with her?
Me : Yup, the right thing to do.

But then again, love is blind. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's a gamble. Life's a gamble.